You can adjust the G-Track Pro’s internal analog input gain stage by using the G-Track Pro’s INSTRUMENT and MIC level control knobs. The purpose of the level, (or gain) controls are to optimize the amount of good signal relative to any associated noise. The G-Track Pro preamp includes a clip indicator to show when the input signal is overdriving or clipping the input.
To set a good level on the mic:
- Set the G-Track Pro up in front of the desired sound source and slowly raise the MIC volume control until you see the CLIP indicator light red.
- Then, turn the MIC volume control down until the indicator no longer lights red.
- Repeat the same process for the instrument. Play your instrument or line level device at a performance level, and slowly turn up the INSTRUMENT volume control until the CLIP indicator lights red.
- Then, turn the INSTRUMENT volume control down until the CLIP indicator no longer lights red.
- Once you set the INSTRUMENT and MIC input level control you shouldn’t need to change them during recording.
- Use the level controls in the computer software to set the balance between the instrument mic and stereo mix from the software.